PDA

View Full Version : Metallica -- Load and Reload

Simon Belmont
05-18-2015, 03:34 AM
It's almost been 20 years since they have been released. People at the time really turned on them for these albums as did I. But in the last couple of years I've given these albums a go again.

Please reconsider listening to these albums. Even if you like old school metal.

I traditionally liked songs like Until It Sleeps, House Jack Built (2 high favorites for me), 2 x 4 and Ain't My Bitch and Unforgiven 2. I listened and listened again and thought "there has to be more good songs that these 5!" I kept an open mind after 20 years. Just listened to Death Magnetic (after promising to not listen to it because of the manic depressiveness in a music sense, being pissed off with too many albums in succession being bad.) I heard more and more songs. Not always metal –– you'd be forgiven if sounded more like Black Sabbath or even Bon Jovi! But I was pleasantly surprised! It's still Metallica but "wearing a different suit" but with heavy blues influence. Some songs like Low Man's Lyric and Mama Said are definitely not metal and will take more time to grow on you.

The only mistake is hiring out of place female background vocalist singing on Memory Remains. Listen to it live with out.)

What's gone on with me? Hard times? Maturity? Being very familiar with a very popular band? It could be all those things.

I'd give both albums about 8.5 to 9 out of 10 with Load being slightly better than Reload.

kramer
05-18-2015, 09:09 AM
I thought I was too good for metal music between 96 and 99. I just got tired of the people wearing Pantera shirts and giving the horns up sign. But every single bootleg I have heard of Metallica, the singer seems to give 150 percent. Same thing with Pantera, I never understood what what was so great about Pantera till I heard some live recordings, long after they broke up and the guitar player was killed. They seem to have always delivered live. For some reason lately, I've been diggin Rex Brown. He just seems like a cool dude.

WhiteBear
08-02-2016, 05:00 AM
I am a great Metallica fan myself. I love most of their albums, even though I prefer old Metallica. My two favorite albums are Ride the Lightning and And Justice for all...but I also love the Metallica album, that was my first at 16 in 1997 and it was a cassette. Metallica now feels empty without Burton to me. Newsted was not bad either, but Trujillo really don't seem to fit.