PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Albert Speer?

Elizabeth L
06-17-2013, 10:22 PM
After reading Inside the Third Reich, Speer paints Hitler as a genius in matters of politics, and credited him with turning Germany around, releasing the country from the grip of the jews, but ultimately an amateur as a military leader and strategist, who's need to control every aspect of the war effort caused Germany to lose the war.

Speer says that Hitler was a romantic that believed in the old ways, holding back the use or development of the advanced weapons Germany had at her disposal. Or using them in the wrong capacity, like the Me 262, designating it as a bomber in the beginning rather than the superiority fighter it was. And other examples.

I know a lot of people say Speer was a traitor because he apologized at Nuremberg, and admitted he attempted to assassinate Hitler, but after reading his memoirs I have to think if Hitler would have listened to his advice the war might have turned out differently.

Crowe
06-18-2013, 07:53 PM
The only criticism I got about Hitler is he should have left planning of the war and strategy to his generals. And then assisted them with whatever resources they needed to get the job done. Taking the offensive against the Soviet Union was the last critical mistake that cost them the war. The Germans weren't equipped properly for a Russian winter, so all the Russians had to do was drag the war out till winter, and cut off their supply lines.

I got not a lick of respect for Speer, and he is a traitor as accused. He kissed ass and lied at the Nuremburg trials, just to save his own ass. Worthless sack of shit.