Old 12-31-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
Fred O'Malley
I AM THE PALE HORSEMAN

Fred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations God
Default Doesn’t ADD Up: Doctors behind ADHD study

The co-authors of a 20-year-old study promoting the use of prescription drugs to combat the effects of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are now claiming the report may have overstated medication’s benefits.

According to a report in the New York Times, at least two co-authors of the highly influential study – called the Multimodal Treatment Study of Children With ADHD – have come forward to express concern that the original report also downplayed the benefits of behavioral therapy.

“There was lost opportunity to give kids the advantage of both and develop more resources in schools to support the child — that value was dismissed,” said co-author Dr. Gene Arnold, a child psychiatrist and professor at Ohio State University.

“I hope it didn’t do irreparable damage,” added a second co-author, Dr. Lilly Hechtman of Montreal’s McGill University. “The people who pay the price in the end is the kids. That’s the biggest tragedy in all of this.”

The report originally claimed that not only was medication like Adderall and Ritalin more effective than therapy, but also that combining the two treatments offered little to no benefit to the patient. Even a 2001 report that showed a combination of medication and therapy effectively treating ADHD symptoms by 12 percent over medication only (68 – 56 percent) labeled the results “small by conventional standards.”

Boosted by marketing from pharmaceuticals, prescriptions for ADHD drugs have skyrocketed since the early 1990s, alongside a significant rise in the diagnosis of ADHD in general.

According to new data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 15 percent of high-school-age children have been diagnosed with the disorder, with roughly 3.5 million currently taking medication. These numbers stand in stark contrast to the 600,000 or so children diagnosed with ADHD in 1990.

“The numbers make it look like an epidemic. Well, it’s not. It’s preposterous,” Keith Conners, a psychologist and professor emeritus at Duke University, said to the Times earlier in December. “This is a concoction to justify the giving out of medication at unprecedented and unjustifiable levels.”

One of the reasons medication has been used so often to treat the disorder is that, at the cost of $200 a year, it’s significantly cheaper than therapy, which can run up to $1,000 a year or more and isn't covered as comprehensively by insurance companies. While medication can be helpful, it also has its consequences – potential addiction, anxiety, depression, insomnia and, in some cases, suicidal tendencies and hallucinations.

Behavioral therapy, meanwhile, focuses on developing a child’s long-term academic and social skills. According to psychologist Ruth Hughes of the advocacy group Children and Adults With Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, medication may make a child ready to learn important skills, but it still requires someone to teach them.

Now, new studies are suggesting that the effects of medication begin to decrease once a child grows older, suggesting it’s extremely difficult to calculate how a child will react as they reach young adulthood. Some researchers pin the blame on the fact that many children stop taking the pills, while others say it demonstrates the inability of a medication-only approach to conclusively treat the disorder.

“My belief based on the science is that symptom reduction is a good thing, but adding skill-building is a better thing,” Stephen Hinshaw, a psychologist at the University of California, Berkeley, said to the Times. “If you don’t provide skills-based training, you’re doing the kid a disservice. I wish we had had a fairer test.”

http://rt.com/usa/adhd-study-drug-times-992/
You NEVER change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, develop a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
Fred O'Malley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
Fred O'Malley
I AM THE PALE HORSEMAN

Fred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations God

It is my belief that the stinking kikes have identified those student most likely to become tomorrow's leaders and found a way to nip their potential in the bud.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
dakotalady

dakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant future

There is a big push right now to get the rules changed for insurance companies to cover therapy. They often don't cover therapy at all, or just a little. The rules have now been changed that insurance plans have to cover all these mental health benefits that they didn't have to before, and there's a big push to try to get increased coverage for ADHD therapy. In my opinion, that is why the author of the study is speaking out right now. (Insurance pays almost nothing for generic ADHD drugs too, and I doubt most take the name brand.)

Notice she doesn't say her study was wrong (unless I'm missing something here), it seems like she's just saying it's being applied in a way it shouldn't be. It may very well still be that kids who do the cognitive behavioral therapy combined with meds do worse than kids who just do meds, and she's not saying her study is wrong about that. How I read it is that she worries that therapies that may be effective that include the whole family and teacher may not be being applied due to lack of insurance coverage and perception thanks to her study.

There has been a lot of talk in recent years about using the "whole family approach" I guess I would call it. Getting everyone in the child's life on board with the same program and how the consistency and those fluid supports are what help them. I think she doesn't want her study from preventing people from doing that kind of therapy approach. It does makes intuitive sense to me that any therapy approach that doesn't include the family and classroom environment might actually makes things worse for an ADHD child, and that an approach that is all encompassing in the childs life would help.

I think it's important to remember that there is no "cure" for ADHD, and that having ADHD actually makes it very difficult for sufferers to implement therapeutic approaches in their life. One popular perspective that gets a lot of talk I've noticed is that medication can be a crutch to help people learn the skills they need to live without medication. Without meds, people may not be able to learn those skills, or make positive habits. It is a condition where being inconsistent is the only consistency. It is hard to participate in a therapy program when you cannot be consistent, so the idea is that medication can help you participate in the therapy.

Non-profit, national organizations that publicize the latest research on ADHD really need to be strong and have a loud message to counteract the messaging from anyone trying to make money off the condition, especially the pharmaceutical industry. The more confusion there is about ADHD, the better it is for the pharmaceutical industry because they thrive in an environment of confusion and chaos.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
Fred O'Malley
I AM THE PALE HORSEMAN

If you step back and take a wide-angle view of the entirety of the position of all the people as they relate to unresponsive government, you can see the lid is about to blow off the entire country.

When meds are not available, when government finally admits some of its failures (which are really intended to bring on civil war), you will see the hand of the evil kikes on the strings of our false reality.

The end of this system is in sight. The question is, what are we going to be able to do to correct it and get back to prosperity?

I say making Americans aware that their suffering is due solely to kike control of our country. Get rid of the kikes and we can live happy once again.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:42 AM   #5
dakotalady

dakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant future

Quote: Originally Posted by Fred O'Malley View Post

If you step back and take a wide-angle view of the entirety of the position of all the people as they relate to unresponsive government, you can see the lid is about to blow off the entire country.

When meds are not available, when government finally admits some of its failures (which are really intended to bring on civil war), you will see the hand of the evil kikes on the strings of our false reality.

The end of this system is in sight. The question is, what are we going to be able to do to correct it and get back to prosperity?

I say making Americans aware that their suffering is due solely to kike control of our country. Get rid of the kikes and we can live happy once again.

There has was a massive ADHD med shortage last year thanks to the pharmaceutical companies. The DEA didn't care, the govt didn't care about helping at all while people were unable to get meds all across the country. I thinks it has gotten better now. Undoubtedly many pharmaceutical companies are Jewish owned, I haven't researched if they own the ones making those particular meds. I should look that up! I don't know if they have some long term agenda other than money but in any case what the companies did was unethical, and their advertising is unethical too.