Post New Thread Reply

Old 01-10-2014, 01:14 AM   #11
dakotalady

dakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant future

Witches Child- you sound talented! I can crochet and do a button or single stitch but that is it. I haven't crocheted in a couple years though, I went on a crochet streak then burned out, haven't done it since. It's so true that it's making a comeback among young mothers trying to make extra money, I wish I could do it! Because I was thinking if I knew how to run a sewing machine well I could make things like personalized Xmas stockings to sell.

I saw online they do sell kids ones, one is $35, but all the ones I see have really bad reviews. I kinda want to learn how to run the sewing machine just so I can show my daughter how to do it. I am seeing someone tmw that knows how, maybe I can talk her into letting me watch at least the very basics so I could at least turn the thing on etc. your post here has got me inspired! Or I could ask my mom, but she hates sewing so I don't want to put her through it lol. I think she had to do a lot of it as a kid.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:27 AM   #12
WitchesChild
Pagan Heart

WitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations God

My grandmothers, mother, aunts and sister-in-laws are the true skilled ones.

Although I have always been around quilting, crocheting and sewing I have actually learned a great deal from the tutorials on youtube.

You should check them out.

I probably have 300+ sewing & crocheting bookmarks. I read about it far more than I do it unlike the rest of the women in the family. English paper piecing is especially fun because everyone can make the single hexagons (or assembled groups of them) at home and then bring them all when they meet to arrange for a complete quilt top. It's very relaxing and satisfying in the evenings, and I find I can't worry about all the heavy subjects in the world and do handsewing at the same time. It is also nice to have around if you have trouble sleeping. I adore making baby gifts most of all because I can finish a tiny quilt, just not a big one because I get tired of looking at the same colors. I think it has to do with the shorter and shorter interest spans in ppl due to TV, but I digress......

I print off all the templates on cardstock for everyone and they can be used over and over. I am usually' oohing and aahing' over google images or maintaining their little internet shops while they do the real work. LOL! I assure you that out of all of them I am most likely the least talented.

Here's a tutorial you might enjoy:

http://www.buttonsandbutterflies.com...-tutorial.html

Click the image to open in full size.

I am glad you are feeling inspired! I could talk about this stuff all day long. If you ever have any questions please feel free to ask. If I don't know the answer I will find it.

It is hard to describe, but when I am hand piecing it's like a mystical connection with the past especially with a fire in the fireplace and a line-up of great documentaries droning in the background.

Good Luck!

PS. Do you still have the owner's manual for your machine?
WitchesChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:12 AM   #13
Atlee

Atlee is a White Nations GodAtlee is a White Nations GodAtlee is a White Nations GodAtlee is a White Nations GodAtlee is a White Nations GodAtlee is a White Nations GodAtlee is a White Nations GodAtlee is a White Nations GodAtlee is a White Nations GodAtlee is a White Nations GodAtlee is a White Nations God

I know someone who sews and does all sorts of crafts, last year I bought my first sewing machine and it has saved lots of dollars. I still have my military sewing kit too.

Learning to cook was more about survival, I am teaching kids how to cook and live off the land these days and some gardening.

I find folks all the time who know nothing about taking care of themselves and are slaves to the system. I am forever having neighbors come over to have me help them fix this or that.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:00 AM   #14
Icarus

Icarus has much to be proud ofIcarus has much to be proud ofIcarus has much to be proud ofIcarus has much to be proud ofIcarus has much to be proud ofIcarus has much to be proud ofIcarus has much to be proud ofIcarus has much to be proud ofIcarus has much to be proud ofIcarus has much to be proud of
Default Pioneers where did they go

It has been only around 100 years.
Since this period of time a huge amount of skills have been forgotten.
A man was expected to build his own house, be a jack of all trades.
A woman maintained the household, raised the children and kept everyone healthy.
Today even the simple skills are hard to grasp.
I have tried to teach my son`s necessary skills to be independent.
And my youngest son looks at my garage with eager anticipation.
It`s wonderful to see people who try and keep these skills alive.
This knowledge brings strength and independence.

Perfect recipe for a PLE.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:36 AM   #15
Atlee

Atlee is a White Nations GodAtlee is a White Nations GodAtlee is a White Nations GodAtlee is a White Nations GodAtlee is a White Nations GodAtlee is a White Nations GodAtlee is a White Nations GodAtlee is a White Nations GodAtlee is a White Nations GodAtlee is a White Nations GodAtlee is a White Nations God

Quote: Originally Posted by Icarus View Post

It has been only around 100 years.
Since this period of time a huge amount of skills have been forgotten.
A man was expected to build his own house, be a jack of all trades.
A woman maintained the household, raised the children and kept everyone healthy.
Today even the simple skills are hard to grasp.
I have tried to teach my son`s necessary skills to be independent.
And my youngest son looks at my garage with eager anticipation.
It`s wonderful to see people who try and keep these skills alive.
This knowledge brings strength and independence.

Perfect recipe for a PLE.

Threads like this help to positively reinforce the term I like best, "neo-Amish". We are, as part of our culture and heritage, rediscovering lost skills and trades.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:39 AM   #16
Fire Dog
Banned

Fire Dog is a White Nations GodFire Dog is a White Nations GodFire Dog is a White Nations GodFire Dog is a White Nations GodFire Dog is a White Nations GodFire Dog is a White Nations GodFire Dog is a White Nations GodFire Dog is a White Nations GodFire Dog is a White Nations GodFire Dog is a White Nations GodFire Dog is a White Nations God

Atlee, what you need is a good loom and spinning wheel, like I listed up thread...then you could weave your own blankets for those chilly Florida nights....
Fire Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:29 AM   #17
Atlee

Quote: Originally Posted by Fire Dog View Post

Atlee, what you need is a good loom and spinning wheel, like I listed up thread...then you could weave your own blankets for those chilly Florida nights....

All eight weeks of winter here, a loom would be something nice to have even without winter. I just wish I had room for it.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:24 AM   #18
dakotalady

dakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant future

WitchesChild- Wow you know a lot, thanks I will definitely ask you if I have questions! Those quilts are beautiful! I hadn't heard the term "English paper piercing" before. That is neat that it could easily be a joint effort like that.

I think I kind of know what you mean about mystical connection to the past, I like making ethnic food for holidays because I kind of feel like that. I imagine crafts would be even neater though.

I've never had a sewing machine, I've only learned regular need and thread, only very basic before. I have a close relative with a nice sewing machine that just said she'd show me a few basics on it next week, and hopefully after that my mom won't have a prob with me practicing on hers when I visit. I think I have a lot more motivation to learn how to use the sewing machine than to knit because it bothers me I don't know how to use it. I'm thinking maybe I'll try to make something like a kids pillow case out of fabric, would that be an easy enough goal do you think?
Old 01-11-2014, 01:51 AM   #19
Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife is a White Nations GodMack the Knife is a White Nations GodMack the Knife is a White Nations GodMack the Knife is a White Nations GodMack the Knife is a White Nations GodMack the Knife is a White Nations GodMack the Knife is a White Nations GodMack the Knife is a White Nations GodMack the Knife is a White Nations GodMack the Knife is a White Nations GodMack the Knife is a White Nations God

Quote: Originally Posted by dakotalady View Post

WitchesChild- Wow you know a lot, thanks I will definitely ask you if I have questions! Those quilts are beautiful! I hadn't heard the term "English paper piercing" before. That is neat that it could easily be a joint effort like that.

I sewed a button on a shirt once. Couldn't wear it afterwards on account of all the blood on it from my stuck fingers, but I did get it sewed on.
Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. And I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ~ The Outlaw Josey Wales
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yid-CW-O9Qw
Mack the Knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:05 AM   #20
Jud Bones

Jud Bones is just really niceJud Bones is just really niceJud Bones is just really niceJud Bones is just really niceJud Bones is just really nice

Sewing ain't just a "woman" thing.

During my working days I took up sewing as a hobby while the wife was painting the house or fixing the plumbing. We never practiced gender assignment of jobs. We each always did what we enjoyed most and combined efforts on the jobs neither liked. The scheme has served us well for 40 years and we see no need to change now.