Post New Thread Reply

Old 12-24-2013, 01:00 AM   #11
dakotalady

dakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant future

Quote: Originally Posted by Atlee View Post

It is legal tender, I have asked about this before. I was told this, "We carry no change so we will sell (blank) to you, but cannot break $20 bills. Expect to have exact change in the future."

Thanks for the info! That makes sense now.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:24 AM   #12
Fred O'Malley
I AM THE PALE HORSEMAN

Fred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations God

Today, we had a Christmas goose with cranberry sauce (homemade), asparagus, string beans, potatoes and chocolate cake glazed with melted marshmallows, with ice cream.

That was a really good meal.
"The essence of the independent mind lies not in what it thinks, but in how it thinks."
Fred O'Malley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:38 PM   #13
Fred O'Malley
I AM THE PALE HORSEMAN

Fred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations GodFred O'Malley is a White Nations God

Saturday brunch, I'm having bacon flavored ice cream to go with my Scotch & root beer.
"The essence of the independent mind lies not in what it thinks, but in how it thinks."
Old 01-04-2014, 08:09 PM   #14
Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife is a White Nations GodMack the Knife is a White Nations GodMack the Knife is a White Nations GodMack the Knife is a White Nations GodMack the Knife is a White Nations GodMack the Knife is a White Nations GodMack the Knife is a White Nations GodMack the Knife is a White Nations GodMack the Knife is a White Nations GodMack the Knife is a White Nations GodMack the Knife is a White Nations God

I'm still working on my traditional negro New Year good luck food -- the black eyed peas & cabbage. Made WAAAAY to much of it.
Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. And I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ~ The Outlaw Josey Wales
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yid-CW-O9Qw
Mack the Knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #15
WitchesChild
Pagan Heart

WitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations God

Perfect chili and cornbread weather here. With a pot simmering to taste and add to throughout the day and a crackling fire, it doesn't get much better than this.

WitchesChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:21 PM   #16
Fred O'Malley
I AM THE PALE HORSEMAN

We made enough chilli yesterday to last a week. LOL

With crackers and hot coffee, it's a perfect winter meal.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:26 PM   #17
Fire Dog
Banned

Fire Dog is a White Nations GodFire Dog is a White Nations GodFire Dog is a White Nations GodFire Dog is a White Nations GodFire Dog is a White Nations GodFire Dog is a White Nations GodFire Dog is a White Nations GodFire Dog is a White Nations GodFire Dog is a White Nations GodFire Dog is a White Nations GodFire Dog is a White Nations God

Cornbread!! Yum!! Do you make yours from basic ingredients? I've been looking for my favority mix for a week, matericum unobtanium so far...need a good receipe....lamb stew coming up as the day progresses here.
Fire Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:43 PM   #18
Fred O'Malley
I AM THE PALE HORSEMAN

This is the recipe I use.
http://www.marthastewart.com/355583/skillet-cornbread
Old 01-08-2014, 05:22 PM   #19
WitchesChild
Pagan Heart

WitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations God

I've been making cornbread since I was probably 12-13, so I can't really give you measurements. The main ingredient I believe makes ours the best are the eggs we use from our free range chickens, there is just NO comparison to those at the supermarket...same with our cakes and pasta.

I don't mix/cut my shortening into the dry ingredients either, so I think that makes it a bit different.

I have two size cast iron skillets for cornbread only, a 10" and a 7.5," with the larger one being mostly for cornbread that will be made into dressing. For dressing cornbread I fill the skill up more, and add a bit of flour to make it more fine and cakelike. The smaller one I use for thinner coarser crispy cornbread that comes out much like a fried fritter when its a small gathering. I like it really brown too, so it stands up to a mound of beans or greens in a bowl.

Small skillet, crispy kind:

I put a big hunk of butter-flavored crisco shortnin in the skillet and pop into a cold oven, then I set the temp to 450. What you are looking for is about a half inch of melted 'vitamin G' in the bottom. While the oven heats the shortnin and skillet, put around a cup to a cup and a half of corn meal in a bowl and crack an egg into it, if you are using store bought eggs you may need two of them.

This should be a pretty gooey mixture. I may throw in a bit of flour and a pinch of sugar, but not enough to make it sweet. I do not like or make 'sweet' cornbread, although many others do. Depending on what I am making to go with it, I may leave out the pinch of sugar and add a bit less than a quarter cup of creamed corn.

I keep a quart of soured whole milk around, give the container a few shakes and pour into the mix and stirring with a fork I add enough to make it pourable. You do not want it thin as cake batter, nor as thick as cookie dough. I mix enough milk in so that it needs just a bit of prodding with a wooden spoon to pour into the skillet and scrape the sides clean.

Keep an eye on the skillet in the oven, depends on how fast you mix your bread, cos you don't want the grease to catch on fire.

What you are looking for is a wonderful sizzling sound when you pour the cold ingredients into the hot skillet. The oil will brown the bottom wonderfully and bubble up through the bread. Since I tried this once, I have never cut my shortening into the corn meal with a fork ever again (which is how I was taught).

That is all there is to it. Good Luck!

Also, the backs of the packages of many of the namebrand cornmeals include a recipe for 'Southern cornbread'. I use White Lily.

*Also, my skillets are cured, and to keep them in good shape I never wash with soap but scrub with with my bare hand and coarse salt. If anything does stick and I have to soak it I do it water only and never allow them to dry on their own.
WitchesChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:30 PM   #20
Fred O'Malley
I AM THE PALE HORSEMAN

I add some diced jalapeno peppers when I want some zing to it, like when I'm serving wild game or fresh fish.
Post New Thread Reply