Post New Thread Reply

Old 01-15-2014, 10:03 PM   #2
dakotalady

dakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant futuredakotalady has a brilliant future

Thanks for posting these videos!
Old 01-16-2014, 02:10 AM   #3
snowglobe

snowglobe will become famous soon enough

Do you have a video on how to send text messages? I have not figured it out yet.
snowglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:21 AM   #4
Aldolphus Mueller
Proud Neo-Amish!

Aldolphus Mueller is a White Nations GodAldolphus Mueller is a White Nations GodAldolphus Mueller is a White Nations GodAldolphus Mueller is a White Nations GodAldolphus Mueller is a White Nations GodAldolphus Mueller is a White Nations GodAldolphus Mueller is a White Nations GodAldolphus Mueller is a White Nations GodAldolphus Mueller is a White Nations GodAldolphus Mueller is a White Nations GodAldolphus Mueller is a White Nations God

How long does it take to get to the point where one could work as a seamstress or tailor if one doesn't know anything about sewing or clothes making but were motivated to learn?

I do not provide legal advice. If you need legal advice see a lawyer
Aldolphus Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:23 AM   #5
snowglobe

Quote: Originally Posted by Aldolphus Mueller View Post

How long does it take to get to the point where one could work as a seamstress or taylor if one doesn't know anything about sewing or clothes making but were motivated to learn?

Excellent question! I will think about this.

Would sewing supplies be available in this senario?
Old 01-16-2014, 02:35 AM   #6
Aldolphus Mueller
Proud Neo-Amish!

Aldolphus Mueller is a White Nations GodAldolphus Mueller is a White Nations GodAldolphus Mueller is a White Nations GodAldolphus Mueller is a White Nations GodAldolphus Mueller is a White Nations GodAldolphus Mueller is a White Nations GodAldolphus Mueller is a White Nations GodAldolphus Mueller is a White Nations GodAldolphus Mueller is a White Nations GodAldolphus Mueller is a White Nations GodAldolphus Mueller is a White Nations God

Quote: Originally Posted by snowglobe View Post

Excellent question! I will think about this.

Would sewing supplies be available in this senario?

There is a seamstress who's well into her 70s and is an institution around these parts. She's been at the same location for some 30 years.

Was wondering how long it might take to become competent enough to become a tailor as it would be a job I could do as my own boss. That is the kind of work I prefer.

By the way, I corrected my misspelling of the term 'tailor' in my original post above.

I do not provide legal advice. If you need legal advice see a lawyer
Aldolphus Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:57 AM   #7
WitchesChild
Pagan Heart

WitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations God

How long does it take to get to the point where one could work as a seamstress or taylor if one doesn't know anything about sewing or clothes making but were motivated to learn?

You mean tailor?

Seamstress and tailor implies fitted clothing, that is different than being able to follow and complete a pattern. The end result of sewing pieces together cut out by a paper pattern is only as successful as how it drapes (fits) on the wearer.

To be able to fit an individual is not only hard work, but skilled labor.... not some poor bastard sewing a sleeve seam in 100's of garments a day.

I would say that some of the best, most economical and available to apprentice under are small businesses that specialize in weddings, proms and beauty pageants gowns. You may start at the bottom, but it is the best way to learn if you are interested in sewing for an exclusive clientele or yourself. You will be trying to please people with a (personal) big budget, something they may never be as able to afford again. i.e. They want the shit to fit right cause they are paying (in their eyes) a fortune.

I am not overlooking youtube though, I can't tell you how much I have learned from information out there to be had for free if one is willing to invest some time and effort.

I not only collect vintage cookbooks, but also vintage sewing/needlework books. One of the best I have lucked upon by far is 'The Good Housekeeping/ Needlecraft Encyclopedia.' Copyright 1947, By Hearst () Magazine. My copy is Fourth Printing, 1950. Ya know, the type of book with a grand total of three 'colorplates"? LOL!

Any vintage sewing instructional from the 50's and before, assumed women already knew FAR MORE than what an 'experienced beginner' knows now. Especially vintage crochet patterns. Girls learned this at childhood, so much was assumed about their training/upbringing by the time they were sewing for their own home/family.

Anywho, in this book, there is an in depth chapter on advanced sewing and tailoring which includes how to make your own individual tailored pattern for your body. Vintage said so much in so few words... probably more information about sewing in this one little book than an entire volume series of the subject published (or blogged) today. Once the industrious woman had her own blueprint, she could shine like the sun but by her own hand and not by industrialized fashion.
WitchesChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:02 AM   #8
snowglobe

There is a seamstress who's well into her 70s and is an institution around these parts. She's been at the same location for some 30 years.

Was wondering how long it might take to become competent enough to become a tailor as it would be a job I could do as my own boss. That is the kind of work I prefer.

By the way, I corrected my misspelling of the term 'tailor' in my original post above.

Please forgive my spelling. This is my last post then I am going to bed.

I think the first thing that must be considered is the mentality of the person that we are talking about. (for training) Where is their mindset.

In my mind I can see some becoming quite accomplished (with guidence provided) between 4-6 months.

There are basic rules. (and I do not pretend to know them) For a man, does he want his best friend on the left of the right behind the zipper?

With women, there are so many waist lines and skirt lengths and the mania of fashion.

I would think that the strong foundation could be accomplished by six months by those with bright minds.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:10 AM   #9
snowglobe

Quote: Originally Posted by WitchesChild View Post

You mean tailor?

Seamstress and tailor implies fitted clothing, that is different than being able to follow and complete a pattern. The end result of sewing pieces together cut out by a paper pattern is only as successful as how it drapes (fits) on the wearer.

To be able to fit an individual is not only hard work, but skilled labor.... not some poor bastard sewing a sleeve seam in 100's of garments a day.

I would say that some of the best, most economical and available to apprentice under are small businesses that specialize in weddings, proms and beauty pageants gowns. You may start at the bottom, but it is the best way to learn if you are interested in sewing for an exclusive clientele or yourself. You will be trying to please people with a (personal) big budget, something they may never be as able to afford again. i.e. They want the shit to fit right cause they are paying (in their eyes) a fortune.

I am not overlooking youtube though, I can't tell you how much I have learned from information out there to be had for free if one is willing to invest some time and effort.

I not only collect vintage cookbooks, but also vintage sewing/needlework books. One of the best I have lucked upon by far is 'The Good Housekeeping/ Needlecraft Encyclopedia.' Copyright 1947, By Hearst () Magazine. My copy is Fourth Printing, 1950. Ya know, the type of book with a grand total of three 'colorplates"? LOL!

Any vintage sewing instructional from the 50's and before, assumed women already knew FAR MORE than what an 'experienced beginner' knows now. Especially vintage crochet patterns. Girls learned this at childhood, so much was assumed about their training/upbringing by the time they were sewing for their own home/family.

Anywho, in this book, there is an in depth chapter on advanced sewing and tailoring which includes how to make your own individual tailored pattern for your body. Vintage said so much in so few words... probably more information about sewing in this one little book than an entire volume series of the subject published (or blogged) today. Once the industrious woman had her own blueprint, she could shine like the sun but by her own hand and not by industrialized fashion.

I am sorry my lady. I answered before I read your post. These are good instructions.

whispers in her ear....(I have done monolithic needlepoint tapestries and a little of this and that as well)

Not much in tailoring at all.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:14 AM   #10
WitchesChild
Pagan Heart

WitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations GodWitchesChild is a White Nations God

Quote: Originally Posted by snowglobe View Post

I am sorry my lady. I answered before I read your post. These are good instructions.

whispers in her ear....(I have done monolithic needlepoint tapestries and a little of this and that as well)

Not much in tailoring at all.

Needlepoint? OMG! I love that skill/talent/art.

I have seen them so detailed they are easily mistaken as oil paintings. You are welcome to start a thread on it here in Home Economics forum.

I regard homemaking as an art, don't you?
WitchesChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread Reply