Old 02-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
Aldolphus Mueller
Proud Neo-Amish!

Aldolphus Mueller is a White Nations GodAldolphus Mueller is a White Nations GodAldolphus Mueller is a White Nations GodAldolphus Mueller is a White Nations GodAldolphus Mueller is a White Nations GodAldolphus Mueller is a White Nations GodAldolphus Mueller is a White Nations GodAldolphus Mueller is a White Nations GodAldolphus Mueller is a White Nations GodAldolphus Mueller is a White Nations GodAldolphus Mueller is a White Nations God
Default Let's Talk Guitars, etc.

Anyone here a musician, or like me, a frustrated musician trying to get out of this body and make real music?

Main instruments include trumpet (past tense, not so much anymore), violin (still learning, it's my really serious instrument and haven't had much time or energy to practice lately but hope to change that), guitar(s) which I've always been interested in and have wheeled and dealed over the past year with various people and have a few now and am learning to play.

Would like to discuss the hardware aspects of guitar including pickups, electronics, and various playing styles.

Recently picked up a Fender Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster Custom (as seen below) new for about 1/3 of MSRP with rosewood fingerboard (would like to have gotten one with maple fingerboard, but the deals I've done have all had rosewood boards and were too good to pass on) in 3-Color Sunburst.

Click the image to open in full size.

Would like to put a vintage 60s Gibson Firebird pickup in the neck, a Strat pickup in the middle with 5/2 Alnico magnets, and a Seymour Duncan Little '59 in the bridge, but food and a roof over my head comes first.

I'm a shade tree luthier and have registered a domain for custom guitars that where the name of that domain should have already been taken. It even surprised the domain registrar that it was still available. Hope to develop my skills and make it work for me and bring in some additional funds.

Found an Epiphone Dot in like new condition last year for only $150. They sell for around $399-$499. Cleaned the frets and fingerboard, put new Elixir 10s on it, did a setup, and now have an excellent poor man's Gibson 335 for nearly nothing. Deals like that are what I look for on the various websites.

Might start by selling my own custom pickups as this is something that I and a relative both are interested in doing and good pickups aren't cheap, but not terribly high if one has 9-5 job unlike me.

Anyway, I've started this ball rolling so if anyone else is musically inclined or interested in the topic please post away. Such interests keep me sane and out of the MSM news outlets since it keeps me preoccupied with music and not 'going postal.'

I do not provide legal advice. If you need legal advice see a lawyer
Aldolphus Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:55 PM   #2
Fire Dog
Banned

Fire Dog is a White Nations GodFire Dog is a White Nations GodFire Dog is a White Nations GodFire Dog is a White Nations GodFire Dog is a White Nations GodFire Dog is a White Nations GodFire Dog is a White Nations GodFire Dog is a White Nations GodFire Dog is a White Nations GodFire Dog is a White Nations GodFire Dog is a White Nations God

I plink away at guitar, have some flutes I can sometimes make interesting sounds with. Some gongs, drums, and a dolicimer.....I did practice enough that one Christmas playing in a town square, I wound up with a few bucks in my guitar case. Very few.

Best wishes and good luck on your projects and playing. It's a real joy.
Fire Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:11 PM   #3
Bjorn218

Bjorn218 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Let's Talk Guitars, etc.

I play guitar now for 31 years this year. Semi professionally for about half those. I say semi professionally because I am at a stage where I now get paid some form of compensation when I perform, it doesn't pay the bills yet, so I'm not there yet.

Adolphus, cool deal on the Fender, but why throw a p-90 in that fiddle. I would have a good look at Rio Grande pickups for replacements. They make some really nice pickups that are designed to drop right into a Tele or Strat.

I also do some shade tree luthiery and make some project change with that work. The projects my luthiery fund are restoration of an Ibanez dt-250 and a ground up build of an Ibanez Iceman with a few changes to it that I am building out of Pecan.

If you plan on building pickups, before you try selling them for money. Make sure you get your consistency down. It's going to take you building quite a few as you get that down. While you work towards that maybe sell early ones at your material cost so you'll only have to eat your time while you learn. Who knows, years from now those early ones might just be very valuable on the vintage market. Good luck and look forward to hearing your progress
Bjorn218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread Reply