Post New Thread Reply

Old 06-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
Randolph Dilloway

Randolph Dilloway is a White Nations GodRandolph Dilloway is a White Nations GodRandolph Dilloway is a White Nations GodRandolph Dilloway is a White Nations GodRandolph Dilloway is a White Nations GodRandolph Dilloway is a White Nations GodRandolph Dilloway is a White Nations GodRandolph Dilloway is a White Nations GodRandolph Dilloway is a White Nations GodRandolph Dilloway is a White Nations GodRandolph Dilloway is a White Nations God
Default Carl Orff - Carmina Burana (full opera, the banned version)

Make sure that you select the CC option so that you can also enjoy the lyrics to this excellent opera.

Comment from the YouTube uploader:

This was the dramatic rendition of Carl Orff's most famous piece of music, how he wanted it to look but seldom performed as such nowadays. It was finally filmed by West German TV in 1975 with the close co-operation of Orff in honour of his 80th birthday. The various stories of young lust and gluttony are playfully and skillfully brought to life. This version of Orff's masterpiece of the sacred and profane was hard to find in Germany. Not so strange, it was banned there for decades, most likely because of its almost literal interpretation of the texts Orff put music to. I first saw this when I was 12-13 years old at the Goethe Institute in Bergen, Norway, with my father, sister and mother. Someone had managed to get hold of an 8mm film roll with it and had a secret screening. This was in the 1980s and, believe it or not, there were strong forces opposed to what they considered blasphemous content in films. The mixture of Christian and pagan imagery is completely consistent with the lyrics, which were found in a monastery, and are a mixture of sacred and profane songs, but were obviously too tough to swallow. Copies of the film were destroyed, but luckily, art prevailed.

Last edited by Randolph Dilloway; 06-02-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Randolph Dilloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #2
Randolph Dilloway

Randolph Dilloway is a White Nations GodRandolph Dilloway is a White Nations GodRandolph Dilloway is a White Nations GodRandolph Dilloway is a White Nations GodRandolph Dilloway is a White Nations GodRandolph Dilloway is a White Nations GodRandolph Dilloway is a White Nations GodRandolph Dilloway is a White Nations GodRandolph Dilloway is a White Nations GodRandolph Dilloway is a White Nations GodRandolph Dilloway is a White Nations God

Fourty-seven minutes into the opera, the word Mandaliet appears. The following discussion back in 2005, on another forum, may help in understanding it's meaning.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/.../t-342065.html

Quote:

In the "Court of Love" movement of Orff's Carmina Burana, there's a bit called "Circa mea pectora (In my heart) (http://www.classical.net/music/comp.lst/works/orff-cb/carmlyr.html#track18)." (The original can be found here (http://www.fh-augsburg.de/~harsch/Ch.../bur_cam6.html), number 180.) The chorus of it goes:

Mandaliet,
mandaliet,
min geselle
chumet niet.

Which translates as:

Mandaliet,
mandaliet,
my lover
does not come.

I'm darn certain that this section is mostly in Latin, though I'm not sure that the word itself is. I've never seen it translated in any of the versions floating around on the internet. Is it a name? Is it basically nonsense/filler word? Is it in any other works of poetry from the same period? Or is it exclusive to this one? What's the meaning of this word?

Quote:

Rebecca J. Davies, of the Department of German at University of Leeds, writes:As far as I know, the MHG word "mandaliet" means "joyful song" or
"dance-song" (cf. OHG "menden" = "to be glad").
MHG = Middle High German
OHG = Old High German

Last edited by Randolph Dilloway; 06-02-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
Randolph Dilloway

Click the image to open in full size.

http://www.classical.net/music/comp....cb/carmlyr.php

O Fortuna (O Fortune)

O Fortune,
like the moon
you are changeable,
ever waxing
and waning;
hateful life
first oppresses
and then soothes
as fancy takes it;
poverty
and power
it melts them like ice.
Fate - monstrous
and empty,
you whirling wheel,
you are malevolent,
well-being is in vain
and always fades to nothing,
shadowed
and veiled
you plague me too;
now through the game
I bring my bare back
to your villainy.
Fate is against me
in health
and virtue,
driven on
and weighted down,
always enslaved.
So at this hour
without delay
pluck the vibrating strings;
since Fate
strikes down the strong man,
everybody weep with me!
Old 06-03-2013, 12:25 AM   #4
Randolph Dilloway

Click the image to open in full size.
Venus, goddess of love.

5. Ecce gratum (Chorus) (Behold, the pleasant spring)

Behold, the pleasant
and longed-for
spring brings back joyfulness,
violet flowers
fill the meadows,
the sun brightens everything,
sadness is now at an end!
Summer returns,
now withdraw
the rigours of winter. Ah!
Now melts
and disappears
ice, snow and the rest,
winter flees,
and now spring sucks at summer's breast:
a wretched soul is he
who does not live
or lust
under summer's rule. Ah!
They glory
and rejoice
in honeyed sweetness
who strive
to make use of
Cupid's prize;
at Venus' command
let us glory
and rejoice
in being Paris' equals. Ah!
Old 04-15-2014, 01:02 AM   #5
Randolph Dilloway

Available again on YouTube.

Post New Thread Reply