• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fred O'Malley
    I AM THE PALE HORSEMAN
    • Apr 2013

Putin says Super Bowl ring was gift

Putin says Super Bowl ring was gift

Putin was reacting Sunday through a spokesman to a New York Post story quoting remarks made by Kraft at an awards gala at the Waldorf-Astoria hotel last Thursday.

''I took out the ring and showed it to (Putin). And he put it on and he goes, `I can kill someone with this ring,''' Kraft said, as quoted by the Post. ''I put my hand out and he put it in his pocket, and three KGB guys got around him and walked out.''

The diamond-encrusted Super Bowl ring worth about $25,000 changed hands while Kraft was visiting St. Petersburg, Russia, in 2005 with an American business delegation that met Putin. At the time, Kraft had said he gave the ring to Putin as a gift.

But the Post story quoted Kraft as saying at Carnegie Hall's Medal of Excellence gala that he had an ''emotional tie to the ring'' and wanted it back, but the White House intervened and said it would be in the interest of U.S.-Russian relations to claim it was a gift.

Putin arrived in London on Sunday to meet with British Prime Minister David Cameron, and Putin's spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, was asked about the Post story.

''Back in 2005 I stood behind the president's back and I saw how that ring was presented to him. All that talk about some kind of pressure that was exerted on him (Kraft) should be the subject of a detailed talk with psychoanalysts, I think,'' Peskov told The Associated Press.

''At the same time, I am aware that this gentleman (Kraft) is feeling such a horrible pain about the 2005 loss,'' Peskov said. ''The president will be ready to send him another ring as a gift, which he (Putin) can buy with his own money.''

Stacey James, a spokesperson for the Kraft Group, the holding company for Kraft's business ventures, including the Patriots, said Sunday that the Post article shouldn't be taken too seriously.

''It's a humorous, anecdotal story that Robert retells for laughs,'' James said in a statement. ''He loves that his ring is at the Kremlin, and, as he stated back in 2005, he continues to have great respect for Russia and the leadership of President Putin. In particular, he credits President Putin for modernizing the Russian economy. "

The statement said ''an added benefit from the attention this story gathered eight years ago was the creation of some Patriots fan clubs in Russia.''

The Super Bowl ring is on display in the Kremlin library along with other gifts to the Russian leader, according to Peskov.

Kraft can take some consolation because he has two other Super Bowl rings given to him for his team's other NFL championships.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/v...wl-ring-061613
    Government is a DISEASE - FREEDOM is the CURE
    Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else is watching.
    “Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth — more than ruin, more even than death. Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habits; thought is anarchic and lawless, indifferent to authority, careless of the well-tried wisdom of the ages. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid … Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man.”Bertrand Russell, Why Men Fight
  • Fred O'Malley
    I AM THE PALE HORSEMAN
    • Apr 2013

Vladimir Putin offers to get Robert Kraft a new 'expensive' ring

Vladimir Putin apparently feels bad about Robert Kraft's ring. (Getty Images) Vladimir Putin apparently feels bad about Robert Kraft's ring. (Getty Images)

Last week, Patriots owner Robert Kraft said Vladimir Putin had pocketed his $25,000 Super Bowl XXXIX ring. A Putin spokesman came out a few days later and said the ring had actually been a gift.

Either way, Putin now wants to make amends, though he claims he doesn't actually remember Kraft.

“You know, I do not remember either Mr. Kraft or the ring," Putin said, via the AFP. “They handed out some sorts of souvenirs. But if it is such a valuable thing to Mr. Kraft and his team, I have a proposal.

"We will ask our enterprises to craft a really good, noticeable thing -- so it is clear that it is expensive, made of a good metal, with a rock -- so that this jewel is passed on from generation to generation in the team whose interests Mr. Kraft represents.

"I think that this would be the most intelligent ... solution to such a difficult international problem.”

The AFP reports Putin said that “with a hint of a smile” so it's unclear if Putin is just trolling Kraft or if he thinks the storyline is somewhat silly (either way, here's proof that Putin did have possession of the ring at one point -- though here's one theory: maybe the bust looking over Putin's shoulder is the person who actually took Kraft's ring).

But Kraft apparently was displeased enough by the original incident that he saw fit to mention it eight years later.

"I took out the ring and showed it to [Putin], and he put it on and he goes, 'I can kill someone with this ring,'" Kraft said. "I put my hand out, and he put it in his pocket, and three KGB guys got around him and walked out."

Kraft then said the Bush White House told him to downplay the issue in the interest of international relations. And so, Kraft called the ring a gift to Putin.

Which Putin says he doesn't remember (with a hint of a smile!!).

At this point, though, will Kraft even want a new ring? Does he need it? Even if it's made of good metal with a rock? After all, even without a ring that can be passed on from generation to generation, the company that Kraft has been keeping lately has been pretty lavish, anyway.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...expensive-ring
    Government is a DISEASE - FREEDOM is the CURE
    Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else is watching.
    “Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth — more than ruin, more even than death. Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habits; thought is anarchic and lawless, indifferent to authority, careless of the well-tried wisdom of the ages. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid … Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man.”Bertrand Russell, Why Men Fight

Comment

• oldnorseman
      • Jun 2013

I've viewed a funny Putin vs. Obama article on the web site www.tomatobubble.com. Worth checking out.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by WNF News Bot, 4 hours ago
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post WNF News Bot  
      Started by WNF News Bot, 6 hours ago
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post WNF News Bot  
      Started by WNF News Bot, 6 hours ago
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post WNF News Bot  
      Started by WNF News Bot, 8 hours ago
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post WNF News Bot  
      Started by WNF News Bot, 9 hours ago
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post WNF News Bot  
      LEGAL NOTICE: 
White Nations Forum is a Professional, Non-Violent, Progressive Pro-White Community. 
We promote White Civil Rights, White Self-Determination, and White Liberation via 100% legal activism. 
We do not promote, tolerate nor incite illegal activity. 
Signed Fred O'Malley (Owner)
      Working...
      X